I think it’s a true testament to the author’s writing when we can read a book over and over again and never get tired of the story or characters, almost as if re-reading the book for the 10th time is like the first. I know I have those special books that I can go back to and read and just know for sure that it’ll take me out of my book funk, inspire and invigorate me to read new books again, and provide me with 100% total escapism. If you’ve been following me on Facebook you’ve probably never heard me mention some of these books…most of these I read years ago and isn’t anything recent (so not many reviews I’m afraid since I hadn’t started blogging then), but special enough that reading them once just isn’t enough.
Listed in no particular order of importance
1. On The Island by Tracey Garvis Graves. This book is one of my all-time favorites with such a unique, exciting premise: two people so different from each other with different goals in life get stranded out on an island after their plane crashes. This book is an exotic adventure tale with an unexpected romance! Here’s my review of On the Island.
“I don’t fit in your world.”
“Neither do I,” he said, his expression tender yet resolute. “So let’s make our own. We’ve done it before.”
2. Where I End and You Begin by Andra Brynn. I think of this book and my stomach gets flutters. The story is actually a chip off the author’s real life story (SO much admiration for Andra) and is equally heartbreaking as it is heartwarming. It’s a romance alright, but more importantly, a book about 2 people finding just what it is they want out of life and finding the courage to face their past fears to get it. It’s a very heavy read though (see quote below). Just be ready to feel.
“And just like that I’m falling and it all comes crashing back in like the bursting windows of a sinking ship and I’m drowning in the terror and the helplessness, the cold, and the despair, and I’m on my knees and I can’t breathe, and I’ll never get past it, it will always come back, I will never escape, never escape never escape, never never never never never never never fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck FUCK.”
3. After the Night by Linda Howard. This author’s writing is just magical. I could probably sit here all day spouting off different adjectives but I’m just going to go with magical. Though I love all of her books, I have to say that this particular one grabbed me. I love it when the main characters come from different backgrounds (in this case he’s rich, she’s poor) and they fall in love with each other years later. Mind you, the guy’s a big jerk and the girl’s a big sweetie but it’s romance! Forget the current stuff that’s climbing up the romance charts, go with this oldie author and get swept off your feet! You swoon, you sigh, you fall in love
“It was just a kiss – “
“Yeah, and King Kong was just a monkey.”
4. Lethal by Sandra Brown. For me, this book is like the Bible of the romantic suspense genre. You are sorely missing out if you love your reads with tons of action, a thrilling plot with complex characters and a toe-curling romance. Her books are more on the suspense side than the romance, but when things do start to heat up, watch out! The emotional impact hits home.
“You don’t have to give me flowers, Coburn. You don’t even have to hold me. Let me hold you.”
5. Slammed by Colleen Hoover. Oh.My.God. The FEELS! I think this was one of the first New Adult romances I read and I totally fell in love. With a book. It’s a forbidden romance that’s so inspirational and a life story hidden within. It’s the first book in a trilogy but honestly, this can be read as a standalone.
“Don’t take life too seriously. Punch it in the face when it needs a good hit. Laugh at it.”
6. Unlawful Contact by Pamela Clare. Another book that’s a must-read for romantic suspense fans! Actually this entire series is outstanding but this book? It’s the pinnacle. A man on the run from authorities grabs the reporter heroine as a hostage but wait! They actually know each other….long before they each got caught up on different paths, they spent one night together under the stars baring their souls. What are the chances?
“It’s not so much where I want you, Sophie, as it is how. Nothing tastes quite like a woman, and no woman tastes like you.”
7. Surrender by Pamela Clare. This one’s from the same author but it’s historical romance, one of my all-time favorite genres. This is the first book and a standalone within her MacKinnon Rangers series revolving around 3 Highland brothers forced to fight for the British on the American frontier and how one of these brothers falls for the woman he rescues. This story was so sensual and whether or not you’re a fan of historical romance, you’ll be captivated by the alluring setting and characters just the same.
“She reached up, held his face between her palms. “How can I help but fret? You live wi’ death on your heels.”
“For your sake, lass, I promise to stay one step ahead.”
8. City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare. This is the 6th book in her Mortal Instruments series and not a standalone so you’d have to read the first 5 but can I just say something? It is SOworth it. Very few authors can make me feel like I’ve been transported directly into the fictional worlds they’ve created but Cassandra Clare does it again and again, with this series and the Infernal Devices series (see #9). Mark my words: you will cry reading these books. You will cry, you will feel, and you will wish that you never, ever had to leave the Shadowhunter world and return to reality. Do yourself a favor and pick up this series. Or the Infernal Devices series (see #9). Or both.
“There are memories that time does not erase… Forever does not make loss forgettable, only bearable.”
9. Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare. This is the 3rd book in the Infernal Devices trilogy and not a standalone so you need to read the first two but once again, it is SO worth it. If anything, this trilogy was even more well-written than the Mortal Instruments series (see #8) and made me feel every emotion possible while reading. This is the one and only series that has a love triangle that was 100% perfect and made me feel nothing but respect and love for these characters. Pick this one up too!! I actually have a series review for this trilogy if you’re interested!
“They say you cannot love two people equally at once,” she said. “And perhaps for others that is so. But you and Will—you are not like two ordinary people, two people who might have been jealous of each other, or who would have imagined my love for one of them diminished by my love of the other. You merged your souls when you were both children. I could not have loved Will so much if I had not loved you as well. And I could not love you as I do if I had not loved Will as I did.”